Explored Locations

St. Saviours: The Historic Church that the NYC Government refused to save.

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on November 15, 2017


10 years ago, the NYC government had an opportunity to save a historic church in Maspeth, Queens. Nearly every elected official involved either dropped the ball or did not care.
Get the details --->

Astoria’s Abandoned Funeral Home

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on October 31, 2017



For a hot minute in 2011, Astoria had its very own abandoned funeral home.
Get the details --->

Brooklyn’s long forgotten railroad, Part 2

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on September 6, 2017


LIRR railfan special passes under the present day M line on Myrtle Avenue on September 9th, 1956. Photo by Bill Rugen

Unless you ask a real old timer, most people in Ridgewood have no idea a railroad ran right through the middle of the neighborhood.
Get the details --->

Brooklyn’s long forgotten railroad, Part 1

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on

LICMB1884map
1884 Route Map of the New York and Manhattan Beach railroad, showing the Greenpoint segment of track.
Get the details --->

Croton Aqueduct: NYC’s longest abandoned tunnel.

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on August 22, 2017



NYC's first major water supply came from a aqueduct tunnel that was abandoned in 1955
Get the details --->

Of Dust and Tails: an abandoned subway tunnel from a forgotten era.

By: Bad Guy Joe , Posted on August 1, 2017

Under Chinatown, there's a stretch of mostly disused subway tunnel unlike any other in NYC. It is relatively poorly documented, not appearing on any publicly available subways maps.
Get the details --->

The long death of the old Kosciusko Bridge

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on July 26, 2017

On the evening of July 25, 2017, the main span of the K bridge was finally lowered onto a barge to be shipped off for recycling. It was an evening ten years in the making.
Get the details --->

LIC’s obscure, abandoned LIRR Bogies 2017, RIP

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on June 12, 2017



This past week, the LIRR finally began scrapping their old freight intermodal bogies. So just what the hell is a bogie, anyway?
Get the details --->

The Laurel Hill Houses, demolished to make way for the new Kosciuszko Bridge

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on April 26, 2017



NOTE: This story was originally published on an earlier version of this site, in April of 2011. The actual exploration took place in December of 2010. There's an update at the end.
Get the details --->

The LIC Elks Lodge was destroyed by Slumlords.

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on March 21, 2017


Down to the first floor as of this morning.

A little over one year ago, this website was the first to report the start of demolition work at the former Elks Lodge in L.I.C. Over the course of this last year, we often posted updates on the building's status to Twitter. The destruction of this building was slow and methodical.
Get the details --->

Locations

Here is a listing of all of our uploaded locations.

  • Recent Comments

  • Check out our Twitter feed

  • Social

  • Instagram Feed

    Something is wrong. Response takes too long or there is JS error. Press Ctrl+Shift+J or Cmd+Shift+J on a Mac.
  • Featured Press