Explored Locations

Brooklyn’s long forgotten railroad, Part 2

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on September 6, 2017

LIRR railfan special passes under the present day M line on Myrtle Avenue on September 9th, 1956. Photo by Bill Rugen

Unless you ask a real old timer, most people in Ridgewood have no idea a railroad ran right through the middle of the neighborhood.
Get the details --->

Brooklyn’s long forgotten railroad, Part 1

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on

1884 Route Map of the New York and Manhattan Beach railroad, showing the Greenpoint segment of track.
Get the details --->

Croton Aqueduct: NYC’s longest abandoned tunnel.

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on August 22, 2017

NYC's first major water supply came from a aqueduct tunnel that was abandoned in 1955
Get the details --->

Of Dust and Tails: an abandoned subway tunnel from a forgotten era.

By: Bad Guy Joe , Posted on August 1, 2017

Under Chinatown, there's a stretch of mostly disused subway tunnel unlike any other in NYC. It is relatively poorly documented, not appearing on any publicly available subways maps.
Get the details --->

The long death of the old Kosciusko Bridge

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on July 26, 2017

On the evening of July 25, 2017, the main span of the K bridge was finally lowered onto a barge to be shipped off for recycling. It was an evening ten years in the making.
Get the details --->

LIC’s obscure, abandoned LIRR Bogies 2017, RIP

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on June 12, 2017

This past week, the LIRR finally began scrapping their old freight intermodal bogies. So just what the hell is a bogie, anyway?
Get the details --->

The Laurel Hill Houses, demolished to make way for the new Kosciuszko Bridge

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on April 26, 2017

NOTE: This story was originally published on an earlier version of this site, in April of 2011. The actual exploration took place in December of 2010. There's an update at the end.
Get the details --->

The LIC Elks Lodge was destroyed by Slumlords.

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on March 21, 2017

Down to the first floor as of this morning.

A little over one year ago, this website was the first to report the start of demolition work at the former Elks Lodge in L.I.C. Over the course of this last year, we often posted updates on the building's status to Twitter. The destruction of this building was slow and methodical.
Get the details --->

The Machine Shop

By: Joseph Anastasio , Posted on February 28, 2017

Within an otherwise empty industrial building in NYC lies this hidden room, filled with intrigue.
Get the details --->

Abandoned Coca-Cola Distribution Center & LIRR Glendale Junction, (Queens) NY

By: Bad Guy Joe , Posted on September 12, 2016

Examining the long forgotten history of a Central Queens industrial zone, with one abandoned warehouse in particular.
Get the details --->


Here is a listing of all of our uploaded locations.

  • Recent Comments

  • Check out our Twitter feed

  • Social

  • Instagram Feed

    Something is wrong. Response takes too long or there is JS error. Press Ctrl+Shift+J or Cmd+Shift+J on a Mac.
  • Featured Press