Did you know that humans have been chewing gum for at least 3000 years, and that modern day chewing gum was invented on Staten Island?
Thomas Adams, 19th-century American scientist and inventor, worked with William Wrigley Jr. to mass produce bubble gum. In 1917 Wrigley’s company built this factory in the rosebank neighborhood of staten island. It remained active until 1949. It has apparently sat abandoned ever since.
In 1986, two large smoke stacks at the rear of the building were determined to be structurally unsound, and were taken down via implosion. Only the smoke stacks were demolished, the rest of the building was left as is.
The decades of abandonment have taken their toll, in the form of a damaged roof, looting of all electrical gear and anything of value.
In 2003, a developer bought the building and began a residential conversion. Work quickly stopped, and the building went back into it’s previous abandoned state. In 2012, hurricane sandy flooded the lower level of the building, pushing out the front doors and leaving it more exposed than ever.
Serious graffiti artists eventually found it, and started creating murals inside. Today, this artwork and the building’s history are its main redeeming values.